Crawl space maintenance tends to fall toward the end of the list of priorities for a homeowner. So many other seemingly more important tasks take prelude over the crawlspace, such as the roof, the siding, and the flooring. Forsake the crawlspace and you may pay the price. Fortunately, crawlspaces don’t require considerable amounts of maintenance, but it’s nonetheless important to keep an eye out for problems and potential dangers. Five signs that it’s time to call a crawlspace professional include:
1. Mold: Bare-earth floor crawl spaces commonly host mold. It’s due to the high moisture content in the soil. The moisture that causes mold may also help release mold spores and toxins into the air, which may travel throughout the home.
2. Radon: Radon is a danger that may lurk about the crawlspace. Uranium is found in moist soil. It becomes a problem as it decays and releases radon into the soil and the home. Radon can be dangerous over time, leading to breathing and other health issues.
3. Pests: Crawl spaces offer pests a great place to set up home. Termites, mice and rats, roaches, and many other pests find a crawl space pristine living for their families. Many times, homeowners are unaware that a pest problem even exists in the crawlspace. This is why regular inspections are so important.
4. Asbestos: Asbestos is another dangerous problem that may be found in your crawl space. The mineral fiber is used in many construction projects, including insulation. When asbestos is released into the air, it can lead to serious health conditions and concerns for anyone in the home.
5. Dirt & Dust: Did you know that the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) says that indoor air is 10x more polluted than outdoor air? You should do your part to reduce indoor air pollutants, which includes cleaning the crawlspace. Dirt and dust can cause allergies and numerous other concerns for homeowners, but a professional cleaning leaves those concerns behind.
To prevent issues such as the five above in the crawlspace, homeowners must schedule regular inspections with a professional. Costs for crawl space inspections vary, although it’s a relatively small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes after the inspection. If The professional discovers problems, he’ll immediately rectify the issues to prevent problems in the home. Don’t risk the health and well-being of your family when expert help keeps trouble away.